About the Prize
Library Undergraduate Research Prize (LURP)
The Library Undergraduate Research Prize is a cash award and certificate given annually during La Sierra University’s Research Week. Students enrolled in any undergraduate course are eligible to participate, working with librarians throughout the research process to produce an award-winning paper. Submissions are judged by the LURP Committee, comprised of a student, librarians, and teaching faculty from a variety of disciplines. The student who wins first prize will win $500; any subsequent prizes will be determined by the number and quality of the submissions and the available budget. The winner’s name will be added to the LURP plaque in the Library.
When your instructor assigns a research paper that will require the use of the library:
- Meet with a reference librarian to discuss your research topic and let them know you will be submitting a LURP paper. It is critical that you do this as one of the first steps in writing your paper. Based on this meeting, the librarian will write their Librarian Recommendation Form for you, which you will need to qualify for the prize. The librarian will also provide you with the additional forms required, as well as answer any questions you may have. Plan to meet with a reference librarian as many times as needed.
- As you work on your paper, record the resources that you use and your thoughts on the process in your Research Process Statement, another required form.
- Complete the Student Submission Form to provide details about your paper.
- When your paper is done, submit it to your professor along with a blank Faculty Recommendation Form. After grading your paper, your professor will fill out this form and return it to you in a sealed envelope.
- After you have your graded paper, you must submit all of the following to a reference librarian before the deadline in order to complete your entry into the competition:
- Your original, graded paper
- Student Submission Form
- Research Process Statement
- Faculty Recommendation Form
- Librarian Recommendation Form (the librarian should have yours from Step 1)
Contact the Library Reference Desk with your questions: