The Research Loop
- Have a question
- Discover what others have done
- Refine your question in light of that discovery
- Answer that question yourself
The research process typically includes four broad steps. Most often you complete one step before moving onto the next. However, there may be times when you will need to return to a previous step or complete multiple steps simultaneously. It's called the "research loop"!
Thanks Where Thanks is Due!
Our sincere and heartfelt thanks to the rockin' awesome librarians at Johnson & Wales University for letting us use the majority of the content of their LibGuide.
Research Process Overview
1) Booth, Wayne C. The Craft of Research. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 2008.
Q 180.55 M4 B66 2008
2) George, Mary W. The Elements of Library Research: What Every Student Needs to Know. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2008.
Z 710 G44 2008
3) Lipson, Charles. Doing Honest Work in College. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 2008. Ref PN 171 F56 L56 2008
4) Quaratiello, Arlene R. The College Student's Research Companion. New York: Neal-Schuman Publishers, 2000.
Z 710 Q37 2000
Contact a Librarian
Christina Viramontes, Hilda Smith, Chelsi Cannon, Jeff de Vries
Do NOT miss Purdue University's section on "Writing a Research Paper"!!!
- Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) (Writing a Research Paper)
- Writing Center at the University of North Carolina (Writing the Paper)
- Writing Center at University of Wisconsin at Madison. (The Writer's Handbook)